Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Burst of Energy and Beachcombing

Just a quick update from the best time of the year here in Okinawa.  It's still warm enough to be out and about, but cool enough people stop asking you to things that require a swimsuit.  I love it!

I've been walking with another mom from the bus stop for a while now, and we've added in a bit of running slow jogging.  It's totally zapped my energy, but I'm gaining it back slowly.  And I know the best is yet to come. 

Well, as a treat we decided to go beach-combing on our walking day yesterday.  'Mind you, we walk past two beaches on our regular path, but we hopped in the car for an adventure.  We visited 3 beaches including one she calls "Secret Beach."  Boy was I ever bummed I didn't bring a camera, but I had a blast.  She calculated it as 4 hours and 45 minutes of walking.  So I earned a nap yesterday.  But I also brought home a few surprises. 

For your viewing pleasure: (click any picture for a larger view)
reminds me of what the water looked like
shiny things
spiky things
tiny things
bit of a big thing
variety of sizes
variety of colors
this side is not so pretty but...
...the other side  has a MOP look to it.
another one deceptively beautiful underneath
new to me-orange and purple sea glass
these are a few of my favorite things
fav find of the day
group shot
And no I don't have plans for all of them yet.  The tiny bits will go into tiny vials for necklaces.  The coral will be come wind chimes, and the I'm still waiting on the rest to speak to me. 

Anybody know how to get the sea smell off?  We've had a lot of storms.  Not sure if that's the problem, and as you can see they've been washed.  That just isn't enough this time.

That's it for me.  Just reminding you to enjoy what you do when you aren't creating.

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, Ginger, a lot of these would make nice textures for polymer clay... especially that "not so nice side", it looks all nubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG how awesome, those spiky ones are so cool, they all are so cool. 4 hours and 45 minutes must have been gone in a flash. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to add sea glass to my Christmas list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice day's work, Ginger.

    We've always buried smelly shells in the sand for a week and let insects remove the tiny bits that are the source of the odor. If that doesn't work or it's too inconvenient, you might try burying them in a container of activated charcoal to absorb the odor.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Hey Thanks! I love hearing what you think.